Tuesday, April 14, 2009

When BEARS (?) Attack

Yesterday morning John was watching the news, and I just caught a glimpse of one of the "human interest" stories at the end. I didn't hear the commentary, just saw the footage and the headline at the bottom: "Polar Bear Attacks Human".

This was not a polar bear in the Arctic who, starving, raided a research camp looking for food. No, this was an animal who lived in a zoo and attacked a person who was in his enclosure. It was not clear from what I saw whether this was a keeper or a patron who somehow ended up with the bear, but either way, I'd have to say that it is not a very good idea to get yourself into that sort of situation. After all, if I were a wild animal who was trapped in a completely unnatural enclosure, unable to fulfill my natural drives, and probably pretty uncomfortable given that I am designed to live in a climate where temperatures can reach fifty degrees below zero or colder - I doubt I'd be all that inclined towards hospitality myself.

I had to wonder - who's attacking who here?

No comments:

Post a Comment