Saturday, August 7, 2010

Time to Move the Paints!

I am a big believer that children should have free access to art supplies. Really, I am. Stamps on the wall, clay stuck to the floor, glitter all over - I may not love it, but I tolerate it and clean it up without complaint. But I think the time may have come to move some of the supplies out of toddler reach.


































The other day, we spent some time finger painting in the morning. Then, after we cleaned up and I went on to do some housework, apparently Harry decided that he was not quite done with the activity. He proceeded to empty an entire bottle of red tempera paint on the hardwood floor (not carpet, thankfully - that's why we don't actually have any carpet) and smeared it all over the dining room and himself. Red paint everywhere is simply more than I can bear. I'm trying to think of a place where I can put it in Bess' reach but not Harry's - but those places are pretty scarce these days.

I am a scholar-turned-mother/activist who is interested in sustainable living and social justice. I have published a number of articles and given presentations internationally on the topics of voluntary simplicity and humane parenting. Learn more at my website www.beautifulfriendships.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment