Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"Her Father Can Afford It"

Image courtesy of Flick user Dianna Williams

This morning I was watching the CBS Early Show when Charlie Gibson did a segment discussing Chelsea Clinton's wedding this past weekend. I don't ordinarily watch this kind of thing but I'm not feeling so great and was having a lazy and mindless moment. Anyway...He and his guest talked about how so many people were excited to see the photos of the happy couple after so much bad news lately - you know, oil spills and the like.

Charlie asked if the wedding was a bit over-the-top in today's economic climate, and the guest - forgive me, I don't remember her name, I guess she is some sort of entertainment correspondent or something - said that it was what is required for someone like Chelsea Clinton. After all, she said, "Her father can afford it. And she's his only daughter."

I am going to rant now, because I'm in a ranting kind of a mood. If you're not in the mood to read a rant, please come back tomorrow. Tomorrow I promise to post some warm fuzzies.

Her father can afford it? 'Scuse me?

How about her PARENTS can afford it? Last I checked, her mother has done pretty well for herself. Successful attorney, best-selling author, United States Senator, candidate for President, Secretary of State - not too shabby as far as resumes go. Yet the mother of the bride didn't even merit a mention on the news? How wrong is that? How far does a woman have to come to deserve some coverage, or does she have to stand in her husband's shadow even when she is one of the most powerful politicians in the world in her own right?

Okay, I'm done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment