Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Review - Sleep, Sleep, Sleep: A Lullaby for Little Ones Around te World by Nancy Van Laan

Sleep, Sleep, Sleep: A Lullaby for Little Ones Around the World Sleep, Sleep, Sleep: A Lullaby for Little Ones Around the World by Nancy Van Laan


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I SO love this book - it may be my all-time favorite children's book to date. I don't normally like books in this style because it feels kind of, oh, I don't know...artificial. Look at how all the *other* people live, you know? But this one I love, for a lot of reasons. One is that I really love the illustrations - simple, vibrant, clear. The text is rhythmic and poetic, a perfect bedtime story. I love that the North American mother is a Navajo, not a suburban mom. I love that it includes non-human mothers as well, showing children that it isn't just us bipeds who have important, loving family relationships. There are moms in the book babywearing and co-sleeping, taking a nap outside under a tree, and a community of women cooking together while they presumably share the child-rearing responsibilities. This one was a great find.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment